- EPFL – Swiss Federal Institute of Technology
- ETH Zürich – Swiss Federal Institute of Technology
- Università della Svizzera italiana
- University of Basel
- University of Bern
- University of Fribourg
- University of Geneva
- University of Lausanne
- University of Lucerne
- University of Neuchâtel
- University of St.Gallen (HSG)
- University of Zurich
THE TRADITIONAL UNIVERSITIES
- Five universities are located in German-speaking Switzerland (the universities of Basel, Lucerne, St.Gallen, Zurich and the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zürich);
- Two are in bilingual cantons (the universities of Bern and Fribourg);
- Four are in French-speaking Switzerland (the universities of Geneva, Lausanne and Neuchâtel, as well as the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Lausanne); and
- One is in the Italian-speaking canton of Ticino (Università della Svizzera italiana).
***Obtained from https://www.studyinswitzerland.plus/university-types/studying-at-a-swiss-university/
Let's take a closer look to some of the universities:
Founded in 1855, it today offers researchers an inspiring environment and students a comprehensive education as one of the leading international universities for technology and the natural sciences.
From its foundation in 1853, the young engineering school has grown in many dimensions, to the extent of becoming one of the most famous institutions of science and technology.
The University of Basel has an international reputation of outstanding achievements in research and teaching. Founded in 1460, the University of Basel is the oldest university in Switzerland and has a history of success going back over 550 years.
With its 26,000 enrolled students, the University of Zurich (UZH) is Switzerland's largest university. Founded in the year 1833, UZH was Europe's first university to be established by a democratic political system; today, UZH is one of the foremost universities in the German-speaking world. Made up of seven faculties covering some 100 different subject areas, the University offers a wide variety of Bachelor's, Master's and PhD programs.
Also let's take look to one of the Applied Sciences and Arts universities:
The Zurich University of Applied Sciences (ZHAW; German: Zürcher Hochschule für Angewandte Wissenschaften) located in the city of Winterthur, with facilities in Zurich and Wädenswil, is one of the largest University of Applied Sciences in Switzerland and is part of the Zürcher Fachhochschule.